There are 3 ways to find an adoptable pet through EASEL
- View available pets on www.petfinder.com.
- Meet with our adoptable cats, kittens, dogs and puppies at one of our Adoption Days, currently held at Mercer Mall PETCO , Highttown Pet Valu, Princeton Cutters Mill and rPrinceton Petsmart. Go to www.easelnj.org and click on “Adoption Events” for our schedule.
- Make an appointment with our EASEL representative at 609-883-0540.
Adopters must fill out an adoption application. Trained adoption counselors will try to make the best match between adopter and pet. Adopters have 30 days to return an adopted pet. After 30 days, a surrender fee may be requested to return the animal. Those animals adopted that were too young to be spayed or neutered can only be fostered. After EASEL receives verification from a licensed veterinarian that the animal was altered, the adoption will be deemed complete.
Adoption evaluation considerations:
- We recommend appropriate facilities to contain pets (e.g. evidence of fenced yards, etc.)
- We require adherence to all laws and ordinances
- We encourage all family members to be present during the adoption process. All adults must be aware of the potential adoption.
- We require other dogs meet and get acquainted with the potential new dog.
- We require that landlords approve pet ownership and maximum number of pets.
- We require that all animals receive regular veterinarian checkups. If adopters already own pets, there should be evidence of “regular” vet checkups.
- Adopted animals must be taken to a veterinarian with 7 business days of an adoption.
- We discourage adopting a pet for another person (not present during the adoption) unless it is a pet for a child within the household.
- We do not adopt to anyone under the age of 18 years old. We do not adopt to college students living in dormitories
- Adoption matches are based on animal behavior, breed and any other extenuating circumstances and family dynamics.
- Adopters must have a working telephone number or cell phone in their household.
- Adopters must provide a work number or alternate contact telephone number.