We could not save as many shelter pets as we do without our incredible foster network. A foster provides temporary living until a permanent home is found. We rescue many animals from high kill shelters where if an animal isn’t adopted quickly — sometimes a matter of days — it will be euthanized. EASEL believes Every Animal Should Enjoy Life. Simply, the more foster homes we have, the more animals we can save.
How to Become a Foster
You can contact the Foster Coordinator at 609-883-0540 for more information and we encourage you to submit an Online Foster Application or Foster Application PDF. Our Foster Coordinator will contact you to evaluate your household arrangements and personal preferences in order to match you with a homeless animal. One home can make the difference.
Animals in need of foster care may include:
• Kittens or puppies that are too young to be adopted
• Cats and dogs that would benefit from increased socialization or exposure to other household pets
• Cats and dogs that would benefit from learning good manners
• Ill or injured animals needing recovery time
• Older cats and dogs that are accustomed to living in a home as a companion pet
• Cats and dogs who find shelter living stressful preferring quieter, relaxed environments
• Cats and dogs rescued from euthanization at other facilities
• Cats and dogs who can provide us valuable space when our shelter is full for new intakes
It depends upon the animal. It may range from a few days to several months or more. We can provide you a better estimate before you take him/her home.
What’s Required of a Foster
• Your job is to love, care for, feed, and provide a safe, nurturing environment until a forever family is found.
• While the animal is in the foster program, EASEL will be responsible for all of the animal’s medical treatment (including medications and vaccinations) so visits may be required from time-to-time.
• Bringing your foster pet to three EASEL Adoption Day events a month.
• Arranging to meet potential adopters.
Benefits of Fostering
• Lots of happy licks and tail wagging from your shelter animal
• For most animals, EASEL will promote your foster as an available adoptee on PetFinder
• An opportunity to have a companion pet without a life-long commitment
• An enriching and rewarding experience!
• An appreciative companion and knowing you saved a life
One home DOES make a difference.